Sunday, April 25, 2004

Surety shifts its shape.

The silent begin to speak. The invisible are seen. The hidden revealed . It is becoming harder and harder to keep the marginalised in the margins. Those whom we were sure it was right not to give rights now demand them. Surety shifts its shape.

He leaned closer, troubled, pushing away his coffee cup...

"Yesterday I had not met you; had you sized up in a quite small and rather grubby box tucked away where I wouldn't have to see it. Now you are sitting unashamedly at my table; taller than I thought you had a right to be. I am confused by mixed messages. Are they yours or mine? I know what is right and what is wrong - don't I? Why do I catch myself feeling differently? As if you really were a woman? Are you? If you are what does that say about me? If you are minding your own business why do I feel unsettled? Why do my children accept you so readily; why is wonderment their most negative reaction?

Yesterday I was sure about things. Today the world has stretched, bigger, wider, taking me with it."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home